Family studies I- Juan Martin

I recent began thinking about all the random information I know, so I decided to start compiling all of this. Maybe I can make a series out of this and then use it for when I need it in other writing work. Well this is my first attempt at it!!! 

 My parents are from a small town called Juan Martin, which is on the outskirts of Celaya, Guanajuato. Juan Martin is a humble place, so much that when you pass anyone in town they tell you "adios".When you climb on top of the mountain, and you look down, you see that Juan Martin is in the shape of a J! The church , the tallest building, is located in the center of it, which shows how important religion is to the people. In good times and bad times, the whole town comes together at the church. On Sundays before church, you can hear the bell ringing several times a day, calling the people to come to the church. 



Architecture analysis

While the houses do look run down, they are very colorful. The houses appear to be made from earth materials most of the time such as dirt, clay, brick. The streets are mainly dirt, unless it's close to the church. The streets don't follow a clear structure most of the time, as they seem to branch off of each other. There does appear to be a grid sometimes but that would be the area passing the church. Most times alleys form from the edges of houses becoming small streets. There is a major street that does cut through Juan Martin, and that road leads to another small rival town, San Lorenzo. 

The area is a mix of residential/businesses. In Mexico, you see this often, where people tend to have businesses on the first floor and their residence would be on the upper floor levels.  When you enter Juan Martin, it is mainly residences with some businesses. However the closer to the church, more business start appearing. Passing the church there is some other business areas, not mixed with residential, such as restaurants, pharmacy, or stores similar to "American street corner stores". 

Also I have only seen 2 schools. One school slightly in front of the church but it is located on a dangerous street. I say this street is dangerous because it is not pedestrian friendly. Another school is located towards the end of the town, my mom went to this school. The education level of the people is low. Most people don't finish high school. Here are more demographics

Family background

This town gives the feel that everybody who lives there, has been living there forever. No new people come in. Though people do leave. I believe that starting in the 90's there was a large group of people who left Juan Martin , including many people on both sides of my family. My family has migrated to places such as Garland,TX , Houston, TX , Salinas, CA , Chicago, TX , Las Vegas, NV , and me (traveling everywhere). 

There are some rumors that my maternal grandpa, David Flores, came from Mexico City. Though his immediate family did settle in Juan Martin. Other than that it appears my family had been in Juan Martin for a very very long time. 

I have quite a bit of major [local] background names in my family. Flores, Chiquito, Maravillo, Lara, and Guerrero. Due to lack of information, I have a hard time finding out more information past my great grandparents. 

My mom grew up in Juan Martin and when she was 12, she dropped out of school. Then she started working in the family store. Often she would look after her family. She moved to the United States when she was 17, following the rest of her family. My uncles had already been living in the United States for a while to earn money to send back home. My family actually did not intend to settle in Texas. Though my mom following them to Garland, Texas sort of caused everyone to stay. Too many of them were in Texas to just go back to Mexico. 

My dad was born out of wedlock. My grandmother was basically shunned from her family and she went away. So my dad was raised by my great grandparents. He didn't really speak to his dad growing up. He said that when he lived in Juan Martin he always cleaned after cattle but he knew he didn't want to do that forever. When my dad was 14, my uncle and him went to go live with his mom. My dad lived in Dallas (Oak Cliff), TX first. Then he joined the military when he was 18. I actually get confused in this on when he became a citizen. 14 or 18+... 

Me

1996-Born in Norfolk. 
1997-Chicago
1998-Jenny Born
1999-Garland,TX
2000-San Diego, CA
2001-Mark Anthony Born
2004-Temecula,CA
2008-Richardson,TX
2011-Chula,Vista,CA 
2012-David Santiago was born
2011-Lufkin,TX
2014-Forney,TX
2015-Graduated from Forney HS
2015-University of Texas at Arlington
**2019-expected gradutation date !!!


Comments

Popular Posts